Dick Metrey has held numerous senior management positions in the US Navy, serving as Technical Director of the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Caderock Division for 15 years; where he was responsible for the business base and technical program of the organisation; including planning, execution, staffing, strategic planning and fostering new starts and innovation to provide the foundation for future programs. Prior to this role, he was directly responsible as principal advisor to the Assistant Secretary of the US Navy for matters pertaining to Naval research, Warfare research, development and acquisition. He has been recognised for his public service with many prestigious awards and selected to serve as the United States representative on several international forums and high-level committees, including the Congresssional established Advanced Submarine Advisory Panel. Mr Metrey has published numerous articles, has been a keynote speaker at seminars at home and abroad.
Awards and Qualifications
- Mechanical Engineering, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, U.S.A
- Master Sc. Mechanical Engineering, George Washington University, Washington Dc.
- Postgraduate course in mathematics, George Washington University
- Postgraduate course in thermo-dynamics and heat transfer, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Postgraduate course in management, Harvard University
- Presidential Rank Meritorious Executive Award
- Navy Distinguished Civilian Service Medal
- Navy Superior Civilian Service Medal
- George Washington University Alumnus Achievement Award
- Membership Sigma Xi
- Chair, Advanced Manufacturing Technology Centre, Central TAFE
- Chair WA Innovation Centre Advisory committee
- Co-authored and published a number of technical and scientific papers with scientist of international reputation, including Nobel Prize Laureates.
- Specialist Associate, aadi Defence Pty Ltd.
- President, Maritime Technology Alliance Inc.
- Director, Naval Surface Warfare Centre. Carderock Division
- Technical Director, David Taylor Research Center (DTRC)
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Surface Warfare, US Navy
- Director and Principal Point of Contact, Program of Naval Cooperation with the Peoples Republic of China
- Chief US Negotiator, Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM) Co-Production Agreement with the Federal Republic of Germany
- Head, Combat Systems Branch, Naval Sea Systems Command
- Program Manager, Navy Advanced Prototyping Program
Dick Metrey served as Director of Naval Surface Warfare and had a profound impact on the Navy’s approach to researching, developing, testing and evaluating Naval vessels. He has been recognised for his contribution to the engineering profession as well as his ingenuity and integrity through numerous awards.