Air-Vice Marshall John Blackburn is an expert in strategic policy, planning, operational command, capability development and material acquisition. He has held many senior positions in the defence industry and actively consults with the Department of Defence and Industry. A recent publication for NRMA analyzed Australia’s Liquid Fuel Security. As Deputy Chief of the Royal Australian Air Force he was responsible for the operations of RAAF headquarters including the whole of RAAF strategic and capability, personnel, financial, logistics policy and planning, as well as the oversight of airworthiness regulation and technical airworthiness.
Awards and Qualifications
- Officer of the Order of Australia (AO)
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Life member, Society of Experimental Test Pilots
- Master of Arts (Strategic Studies), La Trobe University
- Master of Defence Studies, University of New Hampshire
- Specialist consultant aadi Defence Pty Ltd.
- Director John Blackburn Consulting Services Pty Ltd
- Deputy Chairman, Williams Foundation
- Deputy Chairman, Kokoda Foundation
- Deputy Chief, Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF)
- Commander HQ, Integrated Area Defence System
- Head of Strategic Policy, Australian DOD
- Director General Policy & Plans, RAAF
- Operational Commands, RAAF
- Test pilot, fighter pilot, RAAF
Air Vice Marshal Blackburn’s professionalism, leadership, insightfulness and visionary thinking are hallmarks of an outstanding career spanning more than 31 years. He has provided distinguished service as Commander of the Integrated Area Defence System and Deputy Chief of Air Force. Through his achievements and planning prowess, he has ensured that the Royal Australian Air Force is well prepared to meet the challenges faced by the next generation.